2014-01-07 Planning Meeting
Planning meeting on January 7, 2014, 7:00 PM to 8:35.
Introductions, including the new Steering Committee
- Waiting on a check from Google group.
- LUG doesn’t spend any money.
- What can we show to impress the university as a whole? More out-reach to other majors wanted!
- More ECE people in our club, by having OLM talks.
- More stuff about how to install Linux, more workshops, basic coding projects (like from Code Academy), python koans, and more lightning talks about research.
- [Invite some people from Red Hat (or other open source company peoples) to visit and talk about something interesting.]
- Code sprints on projects we care about.
- Using the LUG to help students in NCSU classes be able to use Linux- make a Wiki or hold “Linux Office Hours.”
Meeting Dates and Times
Time of every meeting: Every Tuesday at 7:00 PM.
- 1/7: Planning meeting
- 1/14: Dinner meeting
- 1/21: Meeting
- 1/28: Dinner
- 2/4: Meeting
- 2/11: Dinner
- 2/18: Meeting
- 2/25: Dinner
- 3/4: Meeting
- 3/11: Dinner (spring break)
- 3/18: Meeting
- 3/25: Dinner
- 4/1: Meeting
- 4/8: Dinner
- 4/15: Meeting (Easter week)
- 4/22: Movie & officer elections! (dead week)
- 4/29: Dinner (exam week)
- Shoot for rooms (that have good power outlets) in the EB buildings around the size of EB II 3001.
- EB III, the classroom next to the CEI.
- Shooting for March 1.
- Need to reserve 4-6 rooms
- Talk to Red Hat for lunch money (Justus and Matthew are working on that)
- Barry is working with officials in the university department.
- Caitlin will work on food ordering and handle volunteer coordination.
- Beginner Track
- Opensource.com advertising
- Lots and lots of advertising in general.
Hack Day Dates and Times
- Have Hack Day the Saturday after a meeting.
- First Hack day of Spring 2014 semester will be Feb. 1st.
- Doodle.com poll for voting when 2nd Hack Day will be in late March/early April.
Longer-Term Project: LUG 20th Anniversary Reunion
- In November 2014.
- We were the 6th LUG to be ever created. (And the 4th still active.)
- Try to contact LUG alumni to come (they pay their own travel expenses) and talk about where they are now in life.
- spiffytech can try to dig through old mailing lists for old members emails. (By March)
- Have dinner for the alumni. Maybe get corporate sponsors?
Meeting Topic Suggestions and Other Business
- Linux installation 101 & customizing Linux workshop
- Writing Kernels and kernel drivers 101
- LAN party
- Having ik come for a talk (subject TBA) on March 18th
- OpenGL talk
- Pushing JS to its limits talk (bringing desktop to web)
- Barry on curses
- Scientific research free as in speech (open access, open notebook, and open software & very beginner friendly!)
- Herding daemons
- UNIX piping (Focus: Why do we still use a command line?)
Last updated by Caitlin Chestna at